Saturday, March 07, 2009

Plant Spotlight - Doloris

No, not Dolores. This fantastic plant was not named after the evil, wicked woman in Harry Potter. Rather, she has a much more pleasant namesake, my grandma, Doloris, who is a wonderful woman.


When I first got the start from Brother, (only three little starts, if you can believe it from the pictures!) it reminded me of an old-fashioned kind of plant. So I named her after my grandma, who was fantastically old-fashioned and I heart her a lot.

Here she is almost one year ago (May 2008):


However, in this past year she has grown remarkably huge. To the point that I had to repot her and she took up far too much room on the floor, so we figured out how to make her into a hanging plant, where she is much happier. Here's what she looks like today:


She's a very hardy plant. So long as you love her and make sure she gets water here and there and has some sunlight, she'll flourish like crazy. She's a perfect option for someone without a green thumb. Just like Grandma, she loves everyone. If anyone wants one for themselves, bring me a pot and potting soil if you have some (if not, I'm pretty sure I still do) and I'll make starts and even plant them for you. (Unless you're comfortable with starts. Then I'll just give you the starts.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: