Thursday, December 20, 2007

Adventure, part 1

So you have a clogged drain?"
"Well, yes. Which led to a broken pipe."
"A broken pipe?" [eyes wide]
[laughs] "Yes. Well, you see, we decided to take off the nut to unclog it. And twisted the pipe in half."
[bigger eyes] "Oh, is it still clogged?"
"I would assume so. You see, what happened was the beginning of a very bad day once started with me dropping my toothpaste lid down the drain. I would assume it's still down there."
"Umm... ok. Well, I'll go get my tools."
[exit, re-entrance, make lots of noise in bathroom]
"Your pipes are all rusted. I grabbed the P-trap and it just crumbled. hehehe."
[exit house, re-entrance, make lots of noise in the bathroom]
"Did you know that you have quite the drainage problem with your pipes?"
"What do you mean?"
"Where the pipe goes into the wall, it's backed up quite a bit. I'm going to go get a machine and blow all that out. Also, have you noticed when you fill it up, it leaks on the right side?"
"Ummm... nope. I haven't noticed that."
"Yeah, I'm trying to figure out where the leak is coming from. So I'll work on that, too."
[exit, re-entrance, make lots of noise in bathroom]
"Have you ever put Draino down this drain?"
"Ummm... maybe? I know we did down the tub. Perhaps we put it down the sink for good measure. Also, I know we did down the kitchen sink, too, just on the other side of the wall, if that makes a difference."
"Hmmm... well, when you put Draino down the pipes, if you don't wash it out with water it will actually harden into a really hard lump. Almost like cement."
"Oh. Wow. Um... what can we do about that?"
"Oh, just a bit of time. You can call us back."
"Well, how long?"
"Well, it'll take about a week to dissolve."
"We haven't used that sink at all for 6 weeks."
"You put the Draino in 6 weeks ago?"
"No. The sink broke 6 weeks ago. We hadn't put Draino in for months and months before that, if at all."
"Really. Oh. Ummm."
"Are you sure it's Draino buildup?"
"No. But it's something really hard. It's like you have a rock in there. I've tried to snake it, I've been trying to eat away at it with the blades. Nothing. I thought perhaps something was just stuck, so I put a screwdriver in and started pounding it in. Nothing. Hmmm... Do you have a flashlight?"
"Sure!"
[give plumber flashlight]
"Wow! Do you want to see this?"
"Sure!"
[get flashlight back]
"Ok, look straight into the pipe coming out of the wall."
"Oh wow... wow... You think that's Draino buildup then?"
"I'm not sure what else it could be."
"That's quite the buildup. It does look remarkably like cement. Perhaps someone pranked us." [wry smile]
[long discussion saying about the same thing in more detail]
"So, is there any hope?"
"Of course there's hope. There's always hope!"
[answer cell phone and go outside]
[come back inside]
"Can we come back tomorrow to work on this? We're probably going to have to cut a hole in the wall and pull the pipe out and try to fix it that way."
"Tomorrow it is then."

Adventure to be continued...

No comments: