Saturday, March 29, 2008

Holi color, Batman!

Today, Heartless Siren, Cold One and I went to the Hare Krishna Festival of Colors. It. Was. Amazing. Really.

At first I felt a little dumb going around and throwing pinches of color on total strangers. I shouldn't have, considering my first encounter with color was a stranger throwing it right into my face. Yup, mouthful of color. Smells good, looks amazing, tastes awful. Claudio and I had talked about trying to find each other in the masses... to see who could hit the other with color first. So the three of us took off, making our way through the massive crowds, throwing color on anyone we could see while trying to find Claudio and Co. We had accidentally gotten in the wrong line and bought the $2/bag color instead of the $1. But by the time we realized it, we had been in line for an hour and had no desire to pick a different line. So we bought the color from India instead of the color made here. I'm totally glad we did, too. Because our color was much brighter and stayed much longer, whereas the other stuff kind of faded and blended together. I ended up with two bags of yellow and one bright pink, so any time I saw anyone looking too dark, faded, or dull, I sprinkled them with the yellow. It was fantastic. I'm super glad I got two of the yellow, because it stood out better than any color. We never did find Claudio, which was a shame, but we had an amazing time anyway.

It was amazing how something like walking around and throwing fistfuls of color on perfect strangers can totally bond everyone in an odd sort of way. Like I said, at first I felt dumb, but by the end, I was throwing color on everyone I could find. And they were saying thank you! And total strangers were throwing color on us and we loved it! Then, we ended up on the side where people were just coming in and didn't have color, so in an effort to help them feel a part of the festivities, we threw color on them. We ended up looking for the less fortunate to sprinkle. It was great fun.

Next year, we will buy more bags of the India color. We will also remember our cameras. And lastly, we will remember to bring towels or bags or something to sit on in the car. (Sorry Cold One's car!)

The sad part is, I can only post a few of the pictures I took since I forgot my camera at home, so all pictures were taken after we got back, so there are no pictures of random strangers covered in color... and it'd be pointless to try to Photoshop paper bags on our heads, since the best pictures are of our faces. However, these three pictures are a great representation of what the rest of us looked like:



No comments: