Friday, March 14, 2008

unnecessary, esp. through being more than enough

Today I was sitting in line in the McDonalds parking lot (yes, I feel shame for admitting to that... but for unknown reasons, I have been craving McDonalds lately. I think I've been cursed.) and saw the license plate of the car behind me in my rear view mirror. PFU. Hmmm... what word could I make out of PFU? Perfunctory. Yes. That's a good word. Except, it followed my bad habit of using words that I know work, but not really having any idea of what it means. (For the record, perfunctory is an adjective meaning, "(of an action or gesture) carried out with a minimum of effort or reflection : he gave a perfunctory nod.") Also, if I'm just sitting around, I like to see if I can come up with more than one word. Hmmm... Superfluous. Yeah, that was a good word. Not thinking I could come up with another off the top of my head (for the record, there are 399 more words that fit, some you would recognize like hopeful, others that are silly like bishopful, and unrecognizable cool ones like opsoniferous), I looked forward and realized I could see the license plate of the car in front of me. UFU. Another Superfluous. How strange. How likely is it to be surrounded with two cars of the same word? Seems a little superfluous to me...

No comments: