Monday, April 14, 2008

Green Thumb

Uffish Thought and dimmi are both not good for me. I've become quite obsessed of plants as of late. It started when Chillylint introduced me to Plant Day up at the COB. Then she started giving me starts of plants. This combined with a start Sister had given me slowly became an obsession. I believe we have 8 plants in our cubicle at work. I have 10 at home, plus several starts working on becoming plants, though I think I'll give those away.

Now that it's starting to become warm outside, I've been itching to start my garden, but it's way too early to plant most plants, as the last chance of frost isn't until sometime in May. I've stemmed my urgings a little by looking at flowers that will survive this time of year and almost went and bought some (though time ran out. This is scheduled for sometime this week instead). I've dragged several people out to my garden and pointed out flowers growing in there, where it needs to be weeded, back over to flower beds where we have these really cool succulents and made Laser Jock dig up a giant thorny plant that attacked my poor bare foot. I've also taken to watering my sadly dead lawn again. Also, I dug up all my carrots from last year, so if anyone wants any carrots, I have lots.

Then Uffish and dimmi go and blog about starting their garden inside! Who does such a thing? This is a thought I had never before considered. But reading their blogs, the suppressed urges burst out and I am now the proud owner of a starter kit, not quite full yet. (Maybe I'll get some flower seeds?) It is now growing Roma Tomatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, Onions, Green Peppers, Carnival Peppers, Banana Peppers, Broccoli and Sunflowers. When it gets later in the season, I will plant Green Beans, Peas, Potatoes, Green Onions, Carrots, Beets, Zucchini, Pumpkin, Oregano and maybe more Strawberries outside. I've decided to give up on Corn this year. Also, I think I'll give up on melons.

I am becoming obsessed with plants, methinks.

2 comments:

Krista said...

No melons? Sad!

Emily said...

Oh! How did I miss this?

You're gardening too?! I'm so glad it's sunny today. Really, really glad. Ever since I transplanted my little plants they kind of stopped growing. I blame it on April snow.

Today they're soaking it up, though.

Annnnd, congratulations.