Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Resurrection

I'm rather fond of Harry Potter. It has played a fairly substantial part in my life recently, and thus is often in the back of my mind. One of the major themes in Harry Potter is death. You see the people who don't fear death such as Dumbledore, those who conquer death in a harmless way such as Nicholas Flamel, and those who fear death and will do anything to conquer it such as Voldemort. The idea of a life after death is clear as the spirits of Harry's family and close friends are able to return for brief moments to help him. Also, the scene in King's Cross Station at the end of book 7 implies that the soul does not cease to exist upon death. (Which, i just realized, makes the idea of a dementor's kiss all that more terrifying. Because if they suck out your soul, then even when your body dies, your soul can't move on.)

All that was simply background. Just stuff that is lingering in the back of my mind without ever really being thought about in organized fashion.

Today I decided to put the scriptures on my iPod. I have been going to bed rather late recently, which makes it really hard to read my scriptures before bed. And even if I do it, I'm so tired I don't get much out of it. Solution? Read them during the day when I'm awake! Why not take advantage of the drive to work and lunch hour to read scriptures?

I was just listening to Alma 11 where Amulek is preaching to the people of Ammonihah. They're trying to twist his words so they can condemn him under the law. The subject of Christ's atonement comes up, and Amulek starts talking about the fate of the wicked. Verse 41 is the verse that really stuck out to me: "Therefore the wicked remain as though there had been no redemption made, except it be the loosing of the bands of death; for behold, the day cometh that all shall rise from the dead and stand before God, and be judged according to their works." (emphasis mine)

Immediately I started thinking about how even the most vile and wicked of people will be resurrected someday.. How every single one of us will again have a body, but this time, a perfect body. Whether we deserve it or not. Really, the gift of immortality is something that each of us are given by Christ. Which really makes the idea of the Fountain of Youth and Philosopher's Stones kind of silly, doesn't it? Why extend the longevity of your mortal and imperfect body when you are guaranteed a perfect body later? It especially makes things like Horcruxes seem especially heinous. Committing murder in an effort to gain something that is freely given and yet pales in comparison to the free gift seems ridiculous and downright stupid.

I decided right then that I am very grateful for the Atonement and the Resurrection. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I am guaranteed eternal life. I love the peace that comes from knowing that I don't have to fear death; that I will not only see my family again, but that I will be sealed to them eternally.

Then I realized that this belief was not a wide-spread belief. The world does not believe this. If they did, we would have less stories of people searching for something that would grant eternal life. It hit me the fear that most people must live in. I want to reach out to each of them and hug them. I want to assure them that there is no need to fear. I want to convince them of the truth of a loving Father and Savior who provided a way that we may live again... with those we love. They would not create a plan that caused more pain than happiness.

"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy." - 2 Nephi 2:25
"For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." - Moses 1:39

No comments: