Monday, April 14, 2008

Pining

Today I was really late getting into the office becuase I had a meeting at BYU. After the meeting I had to stop by my house to grab my iPod cord to do some research for my boss. As I was walking into the house, I turned on the sprinkler (might as well let my lawn drink while I'm home), then I paused to listen to the sounds of children playing outside, then grabbed the mail, then walked in the house. I was overcome by the desire to just be home. I wanted to clean the kitchen and weed the garden. I was ready to go plant flowers and play outside. I had no desire to grab the things I needed and go back to work. But, I did it anyway. I was responsible that way. [sigh]

As I left, I drove by Kiwanis Park and saw a bunch of kids flying kites. Ok, let's be honest, I don't know how to fly a kite. I'm not sure I've ever gotten one up in the air and had it stay. But I love watching them. Watching kids fly kites all over Temple Mount was one of the most fun things about sitting on the roof at Eche Homo in Jerusalem. I remember Brother Jr.'s friend coming over to fly kites in our field, but I was too little, so they wouldn't let me fly them. So I watched. As I watched these kids fly kites today, my first thought was, "I want to be outside watching kids fly kites."

I don't think this summer is going to be good for my job. The warmer it gets, the more I itch to be home and outside. The more I want to be outside, the less I want to go to work. Now, don't get me wrong. I love my job. I couldn't ask for a better job; I really couldn't. This has absolutely nothing to do with me not liking my job. Rather, it simply has to do with me not wanting to not be a working woman for life. I don't know how anyone who reads my blog could doubt this about me.

No comments: