Monday, January 14, 2008

The Dating Game, 5

Dear bismark ~

Our conversation today inspired this post. Even though you weren't complaining about the stuff I'm griping about.

~ Dragon Lady

I often hear guys comment on how glad they are that they are not girls. In fact, after being married for awhile, Brother Sr. once told my mom, "Mom, thank you for getting my plumbing right." (She did set him straight that it was Dad that got his plumbing right... but no matter.) I mean, girls have their periods (I will forever love my male cousin who was adamant that girls are stronger than boys, "There's no way I could bleed that much once a month and still function properly!"), we have PMS, we're emotional, we can't make up our minds, we have to spend an hour showering and doing our hair, we have to deal with dresses, nylons and makeup. We have to shave our legs and armpits. We have to look pretty all the time. Estrogen. Child birth!!! We can't do anything alone (i.e., camping, walking in the dark, stopping to help someone who is broken down on the side of the road). How often do I hear guys shout praises to the heavens that they are not female.

Well guys, if life is so great as a male, then you shouldn't complain so much for having one responsibility that girls don't have. Why must guys complain that they're always the one to ask out on dates, the ones to make phone calls, the ones to plan dates? I think it's more than fair that you guys get that in exchange for all the things that make you so grateful to be male. Seriously, if being female is so awful, I think we should at least get the consolation that we don't have to ask/plan dates, nor call boys if we don't want to.

No comments: