Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Jane Austen, 3

Again, a little late. This week, Mansfield Park. I missed the first part for unknown reasons. I believe it had something to do with my computer. I wasn't too worried though, as I had seen a different version of Mansfield Park several times before--I knew the story line. Yellow showed up (he and Hodag have become regulars to Jane Austen night) and I took that as my cue to watch the movie. It was a little hard to figure out who was who. (I mean, really, Fanny Price is blonde! I wasn't used to that.)

When the rescreening happened on Monday, I was tired and decided to go to bed and missed the second showing, so I'm gonna have to base this solely upon my not-full viewing the first time through.

I have mixed feelings about this one. The Heartless Siren's version--the one I've seen before--has some very risque parts. I struggle with this because I like the story line a lot... but I wouldn't want my children to watch the movie. Thus, I shouldn't be watching the movie. (Maybe I should look more into ClearPlay as Laser Jock keeps raving about...) I had heard that one of the directors of some of these new Austen films was rather risque in his interpretations... what better candidate of story than this one? But then again, this was on PBS... it couldn't be that bad, right?

I am pleased to report that this version was rather clean and not nearly as risque as I feared. However, the mood, the story, everything was so much different. For one, you don't trust Mr. Crawford from the very beginning in this one. One of the things I like about Heartless's version is that you simply adore Mr. Crawford for the majority of the film, yet Fanny sees differently and doesn't trust him. So when he turns out to be a jerkface, you respect her so much more. Also, in Heartless' version, Miss Crawford is so much more likable. In the PBS version, you can't fathom why Edmund falls in love with her.

I dunno... I much prefer the cleanliness of the PBS version... but I like the story better in Heartless's version. I'm intrigued now to read the book and see which is actually true to the story. Final judgment yet to come.

No comments: