Monday, January 14, 2008

Jane Austen, 1

PBS is airing The Complete Jane Austen. Last night was the first--Persuasion. (This version.) The only things I knew about this book was that I own it (I own the entire Jane Austen collection), have never read it, and everything they say in The Lakehouse. I had been wanting to read it, but it wasn't high on my priority list, so I was rather excited to watch it last night. Two people fall in love, the love is forbidden by her father, the two part. 8 years later, the story begins when he re-enters her life. Will they get back together? Will he ever forgive her for succumbing to her father's will? Will he marry another girl out of honor? Will she fall in love with another? I spent half of the movie anxiously moving around, gasping and groaning. Oh, and may I mention that Rupert Penry-Jones, the man who plays Captain Wentworth, is very attractive?

The movie was only an hour and a half. It felt far too short. It's very clear that there is so much more to the story. It's now next on my list to read, once I finish Myst: The Book of D'ni. Actually, the entire Jane Austin Collection and Jane Eyre are up once I finish Myst.

I'm sure the entire experience would have been much more pleasurable had I not had an excruciating headache the entire time. Sometimes I wonder what a migraine feels like... because I'm sure last night was really close to one. Food, water, shower, ibuprophen, neck rubs, Spice Traders Oil... nothing really helped. They all provided some relief, but only a good night's rest was able to relieve the pain.

All in all, I loved the movie. I would definitely watch it again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ooh ooh! while i'm in a commenting mood, can i just say this book is something like the bomb? yes? ok. this book is something like the bomb. i wanted to watch the movie but didn't get to, but i HIGHLY recommend reading it.

end.