Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day of Not Simple

Yesterday was a day of Not Simple.  Perhaps I should explain.  Monday I stayed home sick.  Don't worry, I wasn't deathly ill or anything.  Rather, I was slightly nauseous, and sitting only made it worse.  So, instead of sitting at my computer all day, I stayed home so that I could get up and do something.  My kitchen and bedroom both thank me.  That meant Tuesday was effectively Monday.  

Around 10:15 I found myself waiting in line at the Wells Fargo in the Bookstore to deposit some checks and to get a money order.  There was only one person in front of me, but the wait took forever.  Finally, I gave up and headed over to the Dungeon where I helped my former coworker solve an error message they were getting.  I realized all too late, however, that Tuesday meant devotional, so I only had 30 mins to figure out what was going on.  In fact, I was only able to instruct them on a work-around solution instead of figuring out the real thing.

Next stop was lunch.  Olive Wood and I decided to go over to the Subway across from campus for lunch.  We got in there and there was only one lady in line.  Brilliant!  This would go so quickly.  WRONG.  The lady in front of us was ordering 9 different footlongs.  Luckily, we used that time in line to discover that they no longer did every sub as a $5 footlong, but only a select few.  So we had to change our choice of sub.  (Turns out we would have had to anyway... they were out of bacon, so a chicken, bacon, ranch wouldn't have worked.)  It finally became our turn and we happily placed our order of Oven-roasted Chicken Breast on a footlong Italian Herbs and cheese.  Turns out, they had no hot chicken out there.  They had to nuke it.  "I'll just take a couple of minutes."  7 minutes later, we were back in line.  Except the line had grown a lot, so we had to squeeze in between people who were being helped while we waited.  Somehow, our sandwiches got mixed up with the girl in front of us, so we were ordering our veggies across each other.  This wouldn't have been so bad, except the worker in front of me who was supposed to be helping the girl in front of us had no idea what was going on (I'm also fairly convinced that she's new to Subway and hasn't had the greatest training).  It was rather comical.  Let's not forget the boy who was helping us, then turned away to sneeze on his hands.  Don't worry, dear friends, he immediately took off his gloves and washed his hands.  But instead of coming back to finish our half vegitized sandwhich, he started ringing another girl up at the register.  Soon the lady helping the people behind us caught up and started surpassing our sandwich.  You could tell she was frustrated with the other workers (At one point I  heard her say, "We are struggling today, guys!  C'mon!" who seemed to be off in lala land somewhere.  Also, please note that the clueless girl who had been helping the girl in front of us was now just standing behind the frustrated lady, looking around as if she had no idea what to do next.  Finally the frustrated lady pointed out that our sandwich was only half finished, so it finally got finished.  Frustrated lady was the one to check us out.  "What kind of sandwich did you have?"  "Oven-roasted Chicken Breast."  "Finally, huh?"  We smiled and laughed.  I rather felt sorry for her and the other lady who knew what they were doing and had to deal with the others who didn't.  I'm glad I wasn't in a hurry and that I had worked at a restaurant before, because, despite the 30 minute wait in line, I was able to empathize with her and not be frustrated.

I still needed to get the money order, so I stopped at Harmon's on my way to work.  Turns out you have to have cash to get a money order.  I definitely didn't have that much in cash, so, thwarted once again, I went to work.

I got to work only to walk into a mess.  Through unknown reasons, our books that had been processed weren't actually releasing into a form where we could load them.  So we had 64 books that were hanging out somewhere in cyberspace limbo.  I quickly put a stop to our site trying to release any more books and started sending out emails, trying to figure out what the problem was, and to fix it.  Problem is, that's typically not my job.  It belongs to another lady who is currently on her honeymoon.  I sent her an email that basically said, "You may never go on vacation again."

While I was making dinner later that night, Heartless and I were talking and she said something that didn't make sense to me.  In trying to clarify, I wasn't very clear and she couldn't understand what I was trying to clarify.  It ended in a giant case of miscommunication where I could see what both parties were trying to say, but no one could see what I was trying to say except me.  I finally gave it up as a lost hope.  (I still stand by my opinion, but really, what's the point of arguing over pepperoni?)

Tuesday is Ticket to Ride night with my family.  We play online.  It's a beautiful way to have Family Time, even when we're spread over three states.  I had the clear lead the entire game.  By the end, I was an easy 20 points ahead of everyone else.  Then Brother had to come in at the last minute and steal my longest train.  Then Mom came out of nowhere with her completed trains and blew us all out of the water.  I was sure I had a guaranteed win, and ended up in third place.

Seriously, Tuesdays should never be Mondays.

No comments: