Monday, May 12, 2008

Why I don't think Social Security is secure

Once upon a time, Mom set up bank accounts for all of us children.  Our bank statements had our SSNs printed on them, so whenever we needed to know our SSN, Mom would tell us to check our bank statements.  

One day, when I was in 8th grade, our class decided to go to the INEL (now INEEL) for a field trip.  The INEL is a nuclear testing site, and thus the security there is quite high.  In order to take a tour there, you have to give them your SSN.  Charged with finding out this information, I went home and asked Mom who directed me to my bank statement.  I sat there at the table, carefully copying my number from my bank statement to a sheet of paper to give to my teacher.  As I was writing, Brother Jr. walked by and happened to glance at my paper.  

Brother Jr.: "Why are you writing down my Social Security Number?"
me: "I'm not.  This is mine."
Brother Jr.: "No it's not.  It's mine!"
both: "Moooom!"

Turns out, it was my SSN. Brother Jr. had been using my SSN for the past three years without having any idea. All his SS earnings got put in my name. He went to school under my number. He got his driver's license with my number. (Which turned out to be the biggest pain as we didn't realize it until I went to get my driver's license and he was on his mission. "Sorry. You can't use that number. It's already in use." "Can you tell me if Brother Jr. is using it?" "Yes, he is." "Well, try this number [enter his number here]" "Sorry, you can't use that number. It doesn't match your name." "Well my number doesn't match his name either!") He went on his mission under my number. He even registered for the draft under my number. I could have been drafted at the ripe old age of 14.

This week I received a letter from the Social Security Administration, detailing my SS earnings. I couldn't figure out why from 1994-1996 I had earnings, but from 1997-1998 I had $0. Then in 1999, my earnings started up again. And then it hit me. I wasn't working to earn SS money when I was 11 years old. So, from age 11-13, Brother Jr. gave me money. Then we figured it out, and I was left with no earnings for two years until I was 16 and started earning my own Social Security benefits.

There was a number to call if my earnings were not correct. I called them. I figured it would be the honest thing to do, after all. They won't let me give it back! The only way for him to get his money back is to talk to the potato farmers of Idaho (one of which is no longer farming) to see if they still have their paperwork of 12-14 years ago, and ask them to refile with Brother Jr.'s real number. Brother Jr. decided this was not worth his time.

Thank you Brother Jr. for the $2,437 Christmas present that may or may not be there for me when I qualify for it.  That definitely makes up for the pain and agony I went through when I had to postpone getting my driver's license due to this silly mistake.

I don't want to hear anyone scoff and scorn when they find out that I actually pay to have my credit monitored.  If my dear, sweet brother can steal my number that easily without anyone knowing and without even trying, then imagine how easy it is for someone who is actively trying to steal my identity.  At least I came out on top with this one.

No comments: