Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A linguist's delight

It is frequently brought to my attention that my vocabulary is far different than the rest of the world.  It's all normal in my head, though.  And things other people say are just weird to me.

For example, I say:

- jockey box  NOT  glove compartment
- I've been piecing at my fruit all morning  NOT  I've been pecking at my fruit all morning
- I mate my socks  NOT  I ... match?  pair? ...my socks.  (What do normal people say?)
- My hair needs brushed NOT My hair needs to be brushed  (though, for the record, I'm working that one.)
- pop NOT soda  (except, I'm almost completely converted to soda now... but only for fear of mockery)
- huzzay NOT hooray or huzzah.  (Though, that is on purpose and due to Heartless Siren)

Who says I always conform?

(Apparently it's things like this that linguists love, however.  I'm just giving them all thrills.  Eat your heart out, Katya.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm the only one on both sides of my family that says "soda."

-Az

Aaron and Carissa said...

I "match up" my socks.