Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dishonor on fabric stores and their cows

Fabric stores and me are not friends. Every time I walk into one, my brain gets all swirled around. Also, they have all joined together in an effort to thwart me. I told Heartless Siren yesterday that I will never become a seamstress, simply because it meant I would have to go to fabric stores.

First, I do not have an eye for color. If you put a bunch of blues next to each other, I'm going to see a bunch of blues, and blues go together, right? Right! I would tell you that each of them match. Mom and Heartless beg to differ. Did you know there are a billion shades of blue and none of them match? This is the feeling I've been getting. Some have purple in them; some have green. Some are too dark or too light. But green, purple and blue all go together! That's what I think, anyway. This is why I should not pick out colors. Why do people think it's a good idea for me to come along and and pick colors? Why?! I think this must be punishment for something. Maybe for not doing dishes or lying about something or the other when I was 12. Really, I promise, if you think it looks good, I'm not going to argue.

Second, people who work at fabric stores don't think. Seriously. If Sister calls and asks if you have 10 yards of a specific kind of fabric, and you say yes and that you'll put it on hold, then you should have 10 yards of that fabric when I go to pick it up. Not three pieces of 2.4 yards, 6 7/8 yards, and 1 yard (that has a black smudge and a red stamp). Then if that person calls another store and asks if they have a piece bigger than 6 7/8 yards, and that other store says yes, they have an 8 yard piece, then for heaven's sake, that other store should have one 8-yard piece of fabric. Not 2 pieces of just over 4 yards each. Really, people. Is it that hard? So help me, if the 6 7/8 yard piece at the first store that is, once again, on hold for me has been cut or damaged in any way, I will burst into tears. (Such a threat, I know.)

Also, I'm required to go to more fabric stores next week. Please pray for me and my sanity. Also for the sanity of Mom who has to be in the fabric store with me, trying to make me make decisions.

No comments: