Monday, May 05, 2008

Wishing for the Rest of the Story

I use the same stall in the bathroom every day at work. One day, many weeks ago, I noticed in passing that there were three rolls of toilet paper. This made sense, though, since the one was half gone. Thus, I concluded that the janitor came in, saw the one half gone, took it off the holder, replaced it with a new one, and put the half-used one on top so that it'd get used first. Dutifully, I used the one that was already half gone. I really didn't think a thing about it.

Several days later, a fourth roll appeared. (Maybe I should mention that this is not a highly used bathroom at all. There are only a handful of women working in this building. But that number must have been larger at one point, since there are 8 stalls.) This seemed a bit odd, since there were plenty of toilet paper left. Why did they need to put another roll in? But oh well.

Several days later another roll showed up. Then another. Then another. Today I walked in and about laughed right out loud. There were seven rolls of toilet paper in my stall. This is getting quite ridiculous. I was curious now. Were the other stalls as bad? A quick look around informed me that between 8 stalls there were 45 rolls of toilet paper. I'm really hoping that this is some sort of passive-aggressive revenge between a janitor and her supervisor. (In my head this janitor is surely female.) I really just wish I knew the story behind it. I suppose I'll have to make up my own version. Also, I'm wondering what will happen when there is no longer room to balance rolls upon the holder and the back of the toilet. Will they start appearing on the floor? Someday, we shan't be able to walk into the bathroom... it'll be too full of toilet paper. I hope I can be here to see this day.

No comments: